Monday, March 11, 2013

What I learned from Big/Little

Big/Little is one of the best experiences you can have being in a sorority. Finding out who the person that you will call you big for the rest of your life is so exciting. But there are a few thing I definitely took away from the experience.

1. Don't Ruin it For Yourself- Yes you want to know who it is so bad, and yes you would do anything to find out. But i'm telling you know being surprised is so much better than knowing ahead of time. Finding out who it is at that moment is the best feeling. Knowing ahead of time takes away all the fun of trying to guess who it is when you get all of your clues. 

2. Be prepared- Most of the time you don't find out until a few hours before that you will be getting your big, maybe not even that. So for those first few weeks to anything they need you at the house for dress cute. Throw on some jeans a v-neck, a scarf and some boots to go to your new member meeting or chapter. Because there will be a lot of pictures taken that night and you don't want to have norts and a baggy t-shirt on. 

3.Don't go running around telling everyone who you want your Big to be- Yes we all know who we want to be our big more than anyone else and there is a good chance your will get her. But if you don't, you don't want your big to think your not excited to have her. She picked you over everyone else and you never know she may be someone you needed in your life. You don't want her feelings to be hurt because you told her over Starbucks that you don't want anyone else but so-and-so. 

4. Be Excited- It is a day you will never ever forget! Finding out who your big is, is the most exciting time you can think of. Your so happy that you want to cry and hug everyone you see. And meeting the rest of your family is just as exciting. Having a Grand Big or a Twin is the best thing in the world, not only do you have a Big to lean on you have an entire family. 

My Big Little Story: 

One Monday right before our New Member meeting our New Member Chair told us to dress cute for a pledge class picture during our meeting. So we got to the house and messed around for a little while and finally took our picture. And right as we were about to leave our New Member Chair asked if we would like a surprise from our Bigs and of course we all freaked out! She each gave us a note that told us to go to a room in the house. When I got to my room there was a puzzle piece that had little on it, confused I went back to the chapter room to see what the other girls got. Sure enough they had puzzle pieces as well, our New Member Chair told us we had another surprise and to run as fast as we could to the parking lot across the street. When we got there each car had a puzzle piece to match up with ours. So I went to my car and was instructed to open the trunk and out pops my Big! I was so surprised I had no idea it was going to be Ali and that my best friend Lindsay was going to be my niece! I was now a Triplet and had one of the reasons I wanted to be an Alpha Xi Delta as my Big, I couldn't have been more blessed! 

Here are a Few Pictures: 




No comments:

Post a Comment